|Aurora bag knitting pattern|
|EeLin > Aurora bag knitting pattern|
A knitted bag with classic, detailed style. Fabric lining.
Designed by Päivi Eerola. Copyright Päivi Eerola 2006-2008. Contact information: email@example.com
First published in finnish in 2006 by the online knitting magazine “Ulla”. This is a new, revised english translation of the bag, written in 2008. This translation also includes a new glam version of the bag.
The pattern is free for personal, non-commercial use only. The selling of this pattern or the items made from it is strictly prohibited. The distribution of the pattern copies is strictly prohibited. The public translation of the pattern to any language is strictly prohibited. If you have any doubts or questions regarding these rights, please contact the designer.
Basic version: 7 balls (350 g) Rowan RYC Natural Silk Aran colorway 463
Gauge: 19 sts = 10 cm in stockinette stitch
You can knit the bag with thinner or thicker yarn, just keep in mind that the size of the bag and the need for the lining fabric changes accordingly. Because the bag has cable patterning, choose a fairly smooth, fairly solid-coloured yarn that shows the patterning.
Recommended needle size: 4,5 mm
4 buttons for handles
inc = increase: yarn over which is knitted twisted in the next round so the hole does not show
Front & Back Pieces
Knit two pieces: front and back. The pieces are knitted starting from the bottom of the bag.
Glam version: Start knitting a piece by using your main yarn. The back piece has some extra stripes that the front piece does not have. These are included in the instructions.
Cast on 50 sts.
1. row (RS): p23, k4, p23
3. row: p1, inc 1, p22, slide the next 2 sts to the cable needle and move the needle to the front of the work, [K1M1], k1, slide the 2 sts back from the cable needle, [K1M1], k1, p22, inc 1, p1. Total: 54 sts
4. row: k24, p6, k24
Glam version: Change to the glittering yarn.
9. row: p25, k6, p25
Glam version: Change to the main yarn.
11. row: p25, [CBL3_FRONT], p25
Repeat rows 9.-12. two more times. Glam version: continue knitting these repeats with the main yarn.
Glam version, back piece: After 20. row, change to the glittering yarn.
Continue making cables every 4th row as set until there are 52 rows total. AT THE SAME TIME: decrease 2 sts in every 10th row 3 more times. Total: 4 decrease rows, 48 sts. Glam version, back piece: knit rows 29.-30. with the glittering yarn, rows 31.-32. with the main yarn, rows 33.-34. with the glittering yarn, rows 35.-50. with the main yarn. Glam version, both front and back piece: Knit the last decrease rows 51. and 52. with the glittering yarn. Then change back to the main yarn.
53. row (RS): k20, p1, k6, p1, k20
Continue as set, making cables every 4th row, until there are 62 rows total.
63. row (RS): k20, p1, slide the next 3 sts to the cable needle and move the needle to the front of the work, k2tg, k1, slide the 3 sts back from the cable needle, k2tg, k1, p1, k20. Total: 46 sts
65. row (RS): knit
Repeat rows 65.-66. 4 more times. Total: 10 rows stockinette stitch after the ridge.
75. row: Cast off.
Glam version: Knit using your main yarn only.
Cast on 13 sts.
1. row (RS): p2, k4, p1, k4, p2
3. row: p2, slide the next 2 sts to the cable needle and move the needle to the back of the work, [K1M1], k1, slide the 2 sts back from the cable needle, [K1M1], k1, p1, slide the next 2 sts to the cable needle and move the needle to the front of the work, [K1M1], k1, slide the 2 sts back from the cable needle, [K1M1], k1, p2. Total: 17 sts
4. row: k2, p6, k1, p6, k2
Repeat rows 5.-8. until you have 53 cable pairs.
Finish the gusset:
1. row (RS): p2, k1, k2tg, ssk, k1, p1, k1, k2tg, ssk, k1, p2. Total: 13 sts
Make 2 similar pockets. The pocket is knit in one piece from the front to the flap.
Cast on 22 sts.
1. row (RS): knit
Repeat rows 1.-2. 13 times more. Total: 14 ridges.
29. row (RS): k3, ssk, k12, k2tg, k3. Total: 20 sts
Continue by knitting 26 rows garter stitch. Total: 14 ridges.
Glam version: Change to the glittering yarn.
61. row: knit
Classic version: Repeat rows 61.-62. 5 times more. Total: 6 ridges.
Glam version: Repeat rows 61.-62. 4 times more. Total: 5 ridges. Change to the main yarn. Repeat rows 61.-62. once more.
73. row: k4, [CBL2_BACK], [CBL2_FRONT], k4
Make 2 similar handles.
Cast on 14 sts.
1. row: knit
Repeat rows 5.-6. 3 times more.
13. row: k2tg, [CBL3_FRONT], [CBL3_BACK], k2tg. Total: 14 sts
Continue by knitting 76 rows stockinette stitch. Total: 90 rows.
91. row: [K1M1], k10, [K1M1]. Total: 14 sts
Repeat rows 95.-96. 3 times more.
103. row: k2, [CBL3-FRONT], [CBL3-BACK], k2. Total: 14 sts.
1) Press the front and back pieces.
2) POCKETS: Sew the side seams of the pockets. These seams go on the back side of the pockets and will not show when you sew the pockets in place. Sew the buttons to the pockets. Sew the pockets to the front piece.
3) GUSSET: Sew the gusset to the front and back pieces. The top of the gusset is in the same line with the purl row on the top of the pieces. Stitch a string of yarn to the end of the gusset and draw so that the gusset end will become sturdier and rounder.
4) LINING: Fold the lining fabric in half and set the bag on it. Cut the lining by following the bags outer dimensions. Sew the side seams of the lining. Fold 1 cm from the top edge of the lining and press. Sew the lining in place by hand stitching the folded edge to the bag, stitch near the folding. Sew the folding in place, over the lining.
5) HANDLES: Press the handle pieces. Cut two 7 cm wide pieces of any unstretchy fabric. The length of these pieces should be similat to the straight part of the handles. Fold the long side edges of the fabric pieces to the wrong side, then fold the pieces in half. Sew along the low edge. Sew the straight edges of the handle piece together so that the fabric piece will be inside the handle and the sewing line will leave 2 sts inside the handle from both edges. This way the handle gets sturdier. Sew the buttons to the handles. Sew the handles in place.
6) ZIPPER: Hand stitch the zipper in place so that it will be located about 1 cm from the top edge.
© Copyright Päivi Eerola 2006-2008 - Updated 25th August 2008