Eino Uikkanen's homepage > Program GeoConv > Brief description of program GeoConv - updated 23.6.2016
Program GeoConv is a command line, freeware utility to:
- convert between different:
- coordinate file types (e.g. different GPS-utility files) , e.g. OziExplorer <-> GPX
- datums (seven parameter similarity transformation), e.g. NAD27 <-> WGS84
- coordinate formats, e.g. geodetic (lat, lon, h) <-> UTM
- filter coordinates by setting selection criteria for points written to the output-file
- reduce track-files to routes by removing desired amount of points from the original track still maintaining the shape of the reduced track as close to the original track as possible
- generate unique waypoint-ID's based on waypoint description and/or old ID
- compare and test coordinates and transformation parameters
GeoConv is command-based (not interactive).
GeoConv is written by Eino Uikkanen for free use of anyone needing its functionalities - that is, GeoConv is a freeware program.
Once you have installed and studied GeoConv, you have the most powerful tool in your hands. On the other hand, installing, studying and setting up GeoConv is not a quick and easy task. There is no way of getting a quick try of GeoConv either. Therefore you should carefully consider the volume, diversity and complexity of your conversion needs before deciding to use GeoConv.
Try to find a simpler interactive and more specific solution or software, if:
- You need the software a few times only
- You are not familiar with and don't want to study batch processes
- You don't feel too confident after reading the User's Manual of GeoConv.
If you need file format conversion without user defined datum conversion or projected coordinate conversion, GPSBabel might be a good choice instead of GeoConv. GPSBabel converts waypoints, tracks, and routes from one format to another, whether that format is a common mapping format like Delorme, Streets and Trips, or even a serial upload or download to a GPS unit such as those from Garmin and Magellan.
GeoConv may be an alternative for you, if:
- Your conversion needs are continuous, complex and diversified.
- You want to be able to use user-defined datums, grid-parameters, file-format's etc.
GeoConv is definitely your choice, if:
- You want to be able to describe a series of various tasks as batch-runs.
- You want to process sets of files instead of individual files.
- You want to automate/schedule your conversions.
- You want to work with datum transformations - define, test, etc.
- You need optimal track to route reduction functionality, automated ID-generation or other quite GeoConv-unique features.
If you want to start to use GeoConv:
- Start from examining the examples in - geoconvsamples.pdf - start reading User's Manual after you have got general understanding of GeoConv's approach and functional elements.
- Install GeoConv and test the installation with simple runs or commands before proceeding to more complex applications.
- If you need any help in installing, setting up or using GeoConv, please don't hesitate to contact me - email@example.com
- If your local coordinate system and/or datum is not currently supported, please contact me - I am happy to add your local systems in GeoConv's standard package in co-operation with you. This is the way I have added almost all national coordinate systems in GeoConv's parameters. If you add your local coordinate system parameters yourself, please share the parameters and experiences with other users by contacting me.
- Good luck!
User defined file-format
- CRDLIST, User defined coordinate list, binary or text-format, fields and formats:
- User defined input-file format, binary and text
- User defined output format (appr. 60 printable variables)
- User defined/pre-defined datums
- User defined/pre-defined ellipsoids
- User defined/pre-defined UTM/Gauss-Krüger and Lambert Conic Conformal grid-parameters
- Geographical coordinates in formats DEG, DM, DMS and with different datums
- UTM (Automatic zone recognition and change, special zones etc.)
- Transverse-Mercator (Gauss-Krüger/Gauss Boaga/UTM)-coordinates with user defined parameters, e.g, RT90, OSGB36, DHDN, ...
- Lambert Conic Conformal 1SP and 2SP with user defined parameters
- Mercator 1SP and 2SP with user defined parameters
- KKJ, YKJ Finnish grid
- ETRS-TM35FIN, ETRS-GK, new Finnish grid
- PCX5, Garmin PCX5, track, waypoint and route
- WAYPOINT, B. Hildebrand, Waypoint+, versio 1.7.17 , track, waypoint and route
- OZIWPT, OziExplorer, waypoint-file
- OZITRK, OziExplorer, track-file
- OZIRTE, OziExplorer, route-file
- NMEA0183, NMEA0183-standard, GGA-, GLL- and WPL-sentences
- MAGELLAN, PMGNWPL- and PMGNTRK-formats, track- and route-files
- MPSEXP, MapSource text-export, waypoints and tracks (as input format only)
- GPX, Topografix GPS eXchange Format, tracks, waypoints and routes
- GREK2KWPT, GREK2KTRK, GREK2KGPS, Genimap Reittikartta Suomi Plus, omat paikat, reitit, GPS-loki (Finnish)