Head of Dispersion
Modeling group at the
Finnish Meteorological Institute
EU/GEMS. 2005-2008 (Global and regional Earth-system
Monitoring using Satellite and in-situ data)
* create a new European operational system for operational global
monitoring of atmospheric chemistry and dynamics and an operational
system to produce improved medium-range & short-range air-chemistry
forecasts, through much improved exploitation of satellite data.
* develop a global operational medium-range forecast / assimilation
capability for dynamics & composition, exploiting all available
satellite data. The integrated forecast / assimilation capability
will provide a powerful monitoring capability for greenhouse gases,
reactive gases and aerosols. Sophisticated new inversion methods
will be developed to infer surface fluxes of CO2 and other species
through use of the surface flask data with the gridded atmospheric
fields on transport & composition. The GEMS project
* produce global retrospective analyses of the atmospheric dynamics
and composition for the troposphere & stratosphere, and will
be able to assess the impact of changes both on global & regional
scale, examining extremes as well as means. The global forecasts
will provide key information on long-range transport of air pollutants
to the regional forecast models, through the forecast boundary conditions
used by the regional systems. The improved regional forecasts will
be used by air-quality authorities at city level, in dozens of cities
across Europe. The real-time & retrospective GEMS data products
will provide valuable new analysis & forecast products for regional
& local users, & for the GMES Service Element. The powerful
monitoring capabilities will serve policy users in the area of treaty
validation (Kyoto, Montreal, CLRTAP) & science users.
2 NBC(Nuclear, biological and chemical threats)
Modelling and Simulation, 2005-2008.
Organisation and planning of NBC defence activities
requires new and reliable tools to predict the evolution and the
consequences of an attack or terrorist action, in order to save
human lives (civilian and military) and to preserve operational
Modelling and simulation of NBC events deals with a number of different
scenarios on several scales. Such simulations also include several
sub-models e.g. models for emission, evaporation, deposition, dispersion,
exposure, dose-response etc, linked together in a chain. The total
result of the simulation depends not only on each of the individual
models but also on how they work together.
3 EU/Henvinet, 2006-2008
* review, exploit and disseminate knowledge on environmental health
issues based on research and practices, for wider use by relevant
* lead to validation of tools and results with emphasis on the four
priority health endpoints of the EHAP
2004-2010, and will provide structured information overview
that may be utilized by other actors relevant to Environment and
* collect, structure and evaluate new material and present it in
a consistent manner, which will lend itself to transparency and
identification of knowledge gaps.
* establish an overview of results, activities, projects and tools
existing in Europe and will promote stakeholder networking through
workshops and conferences.
* main goal is to provide training in sustainability impact assessment
for land use issues
* main outputan electronic freeware textbook/tool in English and
5 Interreg&MINTC/Real-time assessment of ship-borne-
nitrogen emissions and their effects on the marine environment in
the Baltic Sea : ShipNoEm /ShipNoDeff , 2006-2007
* estimate the effects of the ship nitrogen emissions
to the eutrophication of the Baltic Sea overall as well as locally.
* develop a system, which uses the real on-line ship traffic data
provided by the newly established AIS
system to estimate the current emissions. The emissions are
used as input to an air pollution model, which calculates the nutrient
deposition for a marine model. The eutrophying effects of the deposition
will be analysed by the marine ecosystem model.
6 Cefic/ iF, 2005-2007
Intake fraction, iF, defined as the dimensionless fraction of an
agent released from a specified source (or source category) that
enters into the bodies (intake) of a target population. The iF project
will expand the iF concept from releases to product volumes and
use categories, advance it to probabilistic and deterministic modelling
of iF distributions (also spatial) within target populations, and
apply modelling in case studies, for which model outcome validation
data is available.
7 ESA/COPS, 2006 -7, (Cooperating EO Sensors)
Demonstrate innovative ways in which remotely sensed
EO data and other relevant data collected in-situ could be exploited
in such a way to make the best use of their respective intrinsic
qualities. and to advance the technology beyond what has already
been established, by broadening scope of the applications and/or
making the synergy between remotely and locally sensed data more
Multimodal AiR QUality Information Service for the GeneralPublic
- , 2005- 2007
Develop a commercial environmental information service
that will provide personalized multilingual air quality information
to a number of European citizens.
NORPAC:Validated models describing Nordic urban and regional concentrations
of particles and OC/EC, 2004-2007.
Enhance Nordic research on measurements and modelling of ultrafine
particles (UFP) and particles mass (PM) through extended co-operation
between Nordic research groups working on local/urban as well as
regional scales. The first phase of the project will cover the following
The project will use existing and establish new collaboration with
other relevant Nordic and European projects.
10 ESA/Promote 2006-9
* construct and deliver a sustainable and reliable operational service
to support informed decisions on the atmospheric policy issues of
stratospheric ozone depletion, surface UV exposure, air quality
and climate change.
* integrate existing ground based air quality networks with models
and the newly available satellite measurements on air pollution
in order to generate accurate daily information on air pollution
levels over Europe.
* covers spatial scales from the ozone hole to polluted streets
in London and temporal scales from climate and ozone trends across
decades to hourly information on ultraviolet radiation levels on
Mediterranean beaches. The close interaction of providers and users
in the project during the consolidation stage ensures high-quality
services directly addressing users' needs.
11 EU/Cair4Health , 2007-8
* strengthen and exploit research results obtained by European and
other projects related to air quality and health impact in relation
to key European sustainable development action plans and strategies.
* aid the review and horizon scanning process for key action plans
including the Environment and Health Action Plan. It will examine
the research and policy-related outputs from clusters, networks,
projects and expert groups including those represented by CLEAR
12 NMR/Srimpart , 2007-9
* improve knowledge of particulate emissions from
urban sources, with emphasis on wood combustion, in the Nordic countries.
The methodology applied is that of source/receptor modelling coupled
to dispersion and transport modelling to allow an independent assessment
in real world conditions of the contributions of these sources.
The project is complementary to other activities based on direct
emission measurements, which are still not well defined.
Ympäristöklusteri/PILTTI, The emissions, dispersion, population
exposure and health effects of small scale wood combustion and traffic.
* study the exposure for fine particles near the traffic and domestic
wood combustion emission
* estimate exposure for fine particles by combing the results from
present study with KOPRA-project exposure model
* estimate different fine particles emissions sectors health effects
* compare costs and benefits of different emissions reduction technologies
* estimate the role of uncertainty in the decision making by using
decision analyses tools
* produce popular and detailed information from fine particles health
effects and from the control methods for the authorities, interest
groups, and public
* produce comprehensive decision models that interest groups could
used to estimate risks from fine particles and their control options
* propagate information and gather information needs from the interest
of Finland/Long-range atmospheric transport of natural allergic
pollutants – POLLEN, 2005-2007.
* develop an integrated modelling system for simulating
and forecasting in time the pollen emissions and transport on an
European scale; and
* evaluate the spatial distributions of pollen emissions and concentrations
The project will concentrate on:
* development, evaluation and implementation in numerical model
of a unified parameterization of the birch pollen emissions over
* modelling of the characteristics of pollen grains (as a special
case of atmospheric aerosol);
* utilisation of the satellite and ground-based data for improved
real-time modelling of pollinating seasons;
* numerical simulations of the regional and continental spatial
distribution of airborne birch pollen in Europe; and
* evaluation of the accuracy and reliability of the developed modelling
system, by comparing model predictions with the phenological and
aerobiological, and other available experimental data. Birch pollen
has been selected as the first example pollen species, due to substantial
health effects for the population, and its ability to be transported
over substantial distances.
TestBed , 2005 -7
Helsinki Testbed helps to develop and test new observational
instruments, systems and methods.. Measurements will be accomplished
through five thematic, month-long, measurement campaigns.
16 MINTC/VIEME, Reducing the noise from traffic
Study on the effect of different road coating materials
and tires on noise and particulate matter emissions.
The group (2005)
PM2.5 concentrations at Helsinki area (inversion day)
PM2.5 concentrations in Europe (SILAM)
Modeled NO2 concentrations
at Helsinki area.
mixing height evolution based on
ceilometer (lidar) profiles
Some recently finished