BREMGARTEN - Bern (CH)
Type: Road/Park course
Length: 7.280 km
Location:Northwest of the city of Bern
Used: 1931 - 1955
1934 PRIX DE BERNE (Voiturette)
Type: Street circuit
Length: 3.320 km
Location: Downtown Montreux
MEYRIN - Geneve (CH)
NEPLIGET - Budapest (H)
Type: Park circuit
Length: 5.0 km
Location: Budapest public gardens
Type: Road circuit
Length: 29.142 km / 29.194 km
What was the length of the Brno circuit? A-Z Motorwelt stated that before December 1929 the circuit length was measured by a surveyor at exactly 29.212 km. Thereafter it was re-measured by a surveyor at officially 29.142 km including description and drawing of the circuit for the CAMS, as reported by A-Z Motorwelt in January of 1930. This is the same length the CAMS as organizer used until 1937. The circuit was built within 4 to 5 months in the summer of 1930 in great haste, so the length mentioned above was probably no longer accurate. The engineer A. Zavodnik from Brno stated in 1930 that the finished Masaryk Circuit was 29.194 km long of which the national roads were 12,655 m, the urban roads 5,496 m of the district roads 11,043 m, and that it had 128 turns (60 left and 68 right hand). However, the CAMS continued to use 29.142 km for all their timing and race results throughout the pre war years. When using the 29.194 km circuit length the 17 laps GP races would have had a length of 496.3 km (308.4 mi), the 15 laps voiturette races a length of 437.9 km (272.1 mi) and the 5 lap 1937 race a length of 146.0 km (90.7 mi). Average speeds for race and fastest laps would mostly have been some 0.2 km/h faster.
We thank Ivan Margolius for that information with a different circuit length.
1930 VELK┴ CENA MASARYKOVA
Type: Street Circuit
Length: 3.041 km
Location: In the center of Lwˇw
Lwˇw (Lviv) is a city in the region of Galicia in eastern Europe with a stormy history. Founded in the 13th century it has belonged to Poland, Austria, USSR and nowadays Ukraine as well as being occupied several times by other countries. In the era between the World Wars it was a part of Poland but in the contemporary racing literature it is often referred to under its German name Lemberg. The Małopolski Klub Automobilowy (MKA) in Lwˇw, affiliated to the Automobilklub Polski in Warszawa, held four GP races in Lwow from 1930-33 on a tight street type circuit.
The start/finish line was at the Pełczyńska Street. After some 600 m the track took a double right turn at Świętej Zofii square, then continued upwards through the winding Stryjska street, turned in on Kadecka Street and continued downwards, then after a sharp bend returned to Pełczyńska Street. The entire track length was 3041 m. The difference between the lowest and highest point of the track was 55 m. It was also very demanding - it went through narrow streets with sharp turns and partly paved slippery road surfaces with tram rails. The course was bordered by houses, lamp-posts and trees. All dangerous sections were protected with sand bags to avoid serious accidents. Moreover on the track seven posts and nine telephones were installed at the most dangerous places for immediate communication in case of any accidents.
1930 GRAND PRIX MIASTA LWOWA
Type: Street Circuit
Length: 3.701 km (1938: 2.5 km)
Location: Jianu driveway, in the center of Bucharest
KALEMEGDAN PARK - Beograd (YU)
Type: Park/street circuit
Length: 2.794 Km
Note. Research by Mark Braddel & Thomas O'Keefe now shows that the course ran counterclockwise, not clockwise as usually shown in books.
PIRITA-KOSE-KLOOSTRIMETSA RINGRADA - Tallinn (EST)
Type: Road Circuit
Length: 6.761 km
Location: In the woods near Pirita convent, 6 km NE of downtown Tallinn
Used: 1933 -
The Estonian Grand Prix course used the roads between Pirita and Kose, near the ruins of the Pirita convent outside the Estonian capital Tallinn. Only 2/3 of the narrow roads had tarmac, the remaining 1/3 consisted of sand. The drivers seem to have liked the course itself but on the long road spectator control proved to be a problem, with spectators passing the road anywhere they liked to. The first event in 1933 was an international TT event for motorcycles only. In 1934 two classes of cars were added, Ferrier(GB) with a Singer and Hans Tael (EST) with a Chevrolet taking the class victories. In 1935 Estonian GP racing reached its zenith as the best Finnish drivers and cars took part, Ebb taking the victory with his big Mercedes-Benz SSK. Only 6 drivers turned up for the 1936 race, Patama (Ford) winning from Hallman and Alm. The 1937 event was for motorcycles only. After the war the track continued to be used for motorcycle racing and is still in use. In 1963 the track was shortened to 6 km by building the "Uus kurv" (the new curve). The pits were moved to the straight between "Vńike S" and "Kose kurv".
© 2019 Leif Snellman - Last updated: 19.02.2018