Peleron's Brilliant Rebirth (PBR)
Peleron's Brilliant Rebirth (or PBR) is a pseudo-roguelike CRPG by Topi Ylinen.
My earlier related programming projects include Angband hacks, the best known of which is Zangband. I chose to write PBR from the scratch mainly for two reasons:
- It was easier to start from scratch than try to tweak *angband into something that it was not designed to be.
- I automatically have the copyright to the full source code.
For a more detailed project background, refer to the readme.1st file in the game docs directory. (You should read that file first anyway.)
The game is set in Ikoniel, a unique world designed by Topi Ylinen. For more details on the game world, refer to the files Introduction.rtf and world.txt in the game docs directory.
PBR key features(*)
(*) The list of features applies to the finished game. The current version is a pre-alpha version that implements only a portion of these features. For more details on what has been implemented so far, see the changelog.
- Traditional ascii-based bird's-eye view, turn-based engine, keyboard interface
- Build a party of 4 characters
- Easily move your party around (like in a single-character roguelike); use formations to let your strong fighters protect your weak spellcasters
- Over 40 starting classes with different sets of available skills; also a number of starting races with unique strengths and weaknesses
- Skill and level-based character development system: mold your characters by investing stat and skill advancement points, and improve your skills by training
- A complex magic system with 8 Realms of Magic (with elements such as rarity, difficulty, multi-realm spells, race/class restrictions etc.)
- Choose your path: become the champion of virtue with a Good party, or steal and plunder with an Evil party!
- Graduate your characters into awesome advanced classes such as an Archmage, the Grand Inquisitor, or the dread Harbinger of the Night
- Loose, non-linear plot; quests with random elements - quests can have different endings resulting in different storylines
- Explore an immense (and expanding) fantasy world, different locations with different landscape, different monsters, different NPCs, different objects, different quests etc.
- Different starting locations for the different PC races
The PBR binary runs on Win32 computers. It has been tested on Windows 98, Windows 2000, and Windows XP Professional. Download the most recent version here - it is free!
To send an email to Topi Ylinen, include '[PBR]' in the subject line, and send the message to
Please note that if you omit the [PBR] string, your mail will likely be tagged spam and trashed automatically.
Alternatively, post to rec.games.roguelike.misc and include [PBR] in the subject line.
Some of the most common questions are already covered in the game FAQ.
© 2006-2009 Topi Ylinen. All rights reserved.